Eating a piece of fruit.
For this excercise, choose a fruit and imagine you have never seen, felt, tasted – experienced – this fruit before.
- Place the fruit on a plate and close your eyes.
- Clear your mind, open your eyes and visually see the fruit for the ‘first time’. What do you notice? The shape, colour, size, texture?
- Begin to cut/peel the fruit open. What do you notice? Is the weight of the fruit significant? The texture of the flesh and the peel?
- Slowly raise a piece to your mouth, pause for a moment. What do you notice? The smell, texture.
- Bite and chew the fruit. Feel the texture in your mouth and the first rush of taste.
- Continue to bite and chew the piece of fruit, remaining aware of all the sensations taking place in each moment.
No doubt, this experience of eating fruit was entirely different to how you normally do. Notice the difference of being aware and in the moment.